Thursday, August 12, 2010

What's Wrong With This Picture?


Well, nothing. It's Halle Berry! She looks gorgeous and this cover is at least ten times better than last month's with awkward Gwyneth.

But you know what is wrong? That Halle is the first black woman on the cover of the September Issue (the biggest issue of the year) since 1989! That's right, it's been almost TWO DECADES since a woman of color was on the cover of this coveted issue. In 1989 the honor went to Naomi Campbell, and she was the first black woman ever to be on the cover of the September Issue.

I know I've talked about lack of diversity in Vogue's covers before, but I still don't get why Vogue won't address it. Or why Vogue is so stingy with putting women of color on the cover.
I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

It just makes me sad that in 2010 we're still talking about these issues. I feel like I'm living in the Dark Ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment