Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Vogue Doesn't Care About Women

This is the conclusion I must come to after seeing a two-page ad for Davidoff cigarettes in the September 2009 issue of Vogue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought cigarette ads were outlawed on billboards and in magazines. Has this rule changed? Maybe, but in any case, I think it's incredibly irresponsible of Vogue to feature cigarette ads and, thereby, to continue glamorizing this deplorable habit.

Vogue is always telling women how to look their best and feel their best and be their best. The importance of taking care of one's body, exercising to stay healthy, following the macrobiotic diet a la Vogue darlings Madonna and Gwyneth, and other such be-good-to-yourself messages are touted in every single tree-destroying issue to the point of redundancy. Over the years, I've seen numerous editorials about cancer research, articles written by cancer survivors, etc., and now seeing this ad is like a slap in the face, and just downright hypocritical. They do know that cigarettes cause cancer, right?

Smoking is not sexy or cool or fashionable. It's disgusting. It ceased to be "en vogue" years ago. Yes, many models, editors and designers smoke. Many of them also do hard drugs. It doesn't make it OK to feature ads glorifying the act. Vogue prides itself on having good taste in fashion, beauty and art among other things. Well, the decision to run this ad was in very poor taste.

I know that ad sales are a magazine's bread and butter, but I think Vogue should've passed on this one. I'm pretty sure they could've afforded to do so.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, come on. The magazine promotes anorexia, plastic surgery, and spending 5,000 dollars on cheap ugly clothes. When I was backstage at fashion week in February every single model I saw waiting outside the salon entrance was smoking. If models didn't smoke they could not be thin enough to fit the clothes. You need a reality check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, but when I see a cigarette ad next to an article about women suffering from cancer, I'm not gonna ignore the hypocrisy. Did you even *read* my post? It's not just about models who smoke or how thin they are (which Vogue has tried to address and failed), it's about HEALTH. It's about not having articles about cancer and how women can beat cancer and then spitting on those same women by buying ads from cigarette companies. Reality check? I know all about the fashion industry, and that doesn't mean that I should just ignore that it promotes these things. I'm speaking my voice to maybe bring about a change, while you are clearly more than happy to be complacent.

    ReplyDelete